Zoom Optics is proud to be one of the premier destinations for Orthokeratology in Sydney. These lenses help gently correct your vision while you sleep and are an excellent option for many people.
Ortho K lenses are a great alternative to glasses or contact lenses, and can be custom fit, for a solution that’s perfectly tailored to your needs. They also don’t require any invasive procedures, if the prospect of Laser Eye Surgery is a frightening one to you.
You might be wondering; “is Orthokeratology safe?” and we’re happy to confirm that, on the whole, there is very little risk involved with using these innovative lenses. A small minority of users have reported discomfort including red eyes and itching, but these are issues that contact lens users face as well, and the vast majority of people won’t suffer any ill-effects.
The materials used in Ortho K lenses enable the eyes to breathe more than regular contacts, even when the eyelids are closed, for a more comfortable user experience in general. Should you experience any side effects from using Ortho K lenses, the good news is that, since the effects are completely reversible, you’ve got nothing to lose by trying them out! What are you waiting for? Contact us now to get started.
How does it work?
Your vision is corrected with a custom designed Ortho-K lens that is similar to a contact lens. When placed on your eye, the special Ortho-K lens floats on your tear-film, gently reshaping your cornea (the front surface of your eye) while you sleep. The result is the correction of your distance vision. When you wake up, you simply remove the lens and go about your day-to-day activities with perfect vision without the aid of contact lenses or glasses. Your vision remains clear all day without the need for further correction – and in some cases, patients may achieve clear sight that lasts a couple of days.
- Ortho-K is a great alternative to wearing glasses – with no fogging, it’s better for active lifestyles, and gives the wearer the opportunity to wear fashion and wrap sunglasses without having to worry about issues concerning lens distortion.
- Better Comfort – Because you wear the lens while you sleep, patients don’t suffer the irritation and dryness that is common with some types of daytime contact lenses.
- More Freedom – Having no lens on during the day allows the patient to participate in those activities that are limited by a normal contact lens.
- No Surgery – For those who are uncomfortable with undergoing a surgical treatment, Ortho-K is a viable alternative.
- It is more cost effective, non surgical and reversible.
- No Eye Exercises Required – Ortho-K doesn’t require daily eye exercises to improve your sight.All you need to do is wear the lenses while you sleep.
- How quickly does it work?The fitting process involves trialing lenses overnight in order to custom design the lens best suited to you. A number ofnight trials may be required over a 1 to 4 week period. Once your Ortho-K lenses have been custom designed for you, it takes approximately 1 week to manufacture your lenses. Normally, patients experience a 50 to 70% improvement in sight after the first night wearing the lenses, and usually achieve good vision all day consistently within 2 weeks.
- Are the results permanent if I wear Ortho-K for long enough?
Patients are required to wear the lenses every night to every second night in order to maintain the change in corneal
shape. Both experience and research indicate that your eyes return to their normal state once you stop wearing the lenses.
- Is everybody suitable?
Ortho-K works best if you are short-sighted (also called myopia, meaning that you have more difficulties with distance focus), and low levels of astigmatism.
Children can also benefit from Ortho-K.Studies have shown that Ortho-K can slow down the change in a child’s prescription.
- Are they comfortable? With your eyes closed, there is minimal discomfort. While you are awake and your eyes are open there maybe a sensation of lens awareness from the contact of the lens on your eyes during blinking. This improves quickly with time, but seeing as Ortho-K lenses are worn during sleep, blinking and lens awareness is not generally a concern.
- What if my prescription changes? It is very easy to adapt the procedure if your prescription does change depending on your initial prescription. If you would like more information about Ortho-K, please contact us to arrange for a bulk-billed appointment to see our optometrist.